IN THE NEWS
The Flu and YouApr 29, 2009
On Monday, the Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed nine cases of human swine influenza (virus H1N1) in Nova Scotia, Alberta and British Columbia. By Tuesday, however, the virus continued to spread across the country as four new cases were found in Ontario.
Amid fears that this nascent outbreak could signal the next pandemic, there are basic preventive steps — from commonsense hygiene to the use of immune-boosting supplements — that can fortify your body and fight this viral invader.
- Germ-free zone! Hand-washing is low-tech, but it remains the most effective way to stop the spread of viruses and bacteria, which primarily travel between people and through contact with contaminated surfaces, such as tabletops, telephones and doorknobs. To prove the point: A study in Detroit found that students who washed their hands at least four times a day experienced 24 percent fewer colds and 51 percent fewer gastrointestinal upsets than the rest of the student population. Wash and rinse for 15 to 20 seconds with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if you’re on the go. Be sure to take time to wash several times a day, especially before you prepare food or eat it.
- Thinking of you. Person-to-person contact is the primary path of flu transmission. If you feel unwell, stay home from work or school. If someone you know is sick, avoid close contact.
- Hold it! If you've got the urge to cough or sneeze, be kind and move away from other people. Caught by surprise? Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue, or bury your face in the crook of your arm. Dispose of used tissues in the garbage immediately. Don’t stuff them in your pocket or leave on a table. Afterwards — wash your hands.
- Ne touche pas! The skin is an amazing barrier for blocking out germs. Viruses, however, gain a foothold easily if infected hands make contact with the membranous tissues of the eyes, nose and mouth. Keep your hands away from these susceptible areas.
- Down for the count. A good night’s sleep encourages the body to release compounds that support the immune system and its function. In times of stress, take rest when you can find it, and be sure to set the stage for a sound night's sleep.
- Before you go . . . If you are planning a trip, check out Voyage.gc.ca for federal travel notices and advisories.
- All flu, all the time. The Public Health Agency of Canada has up-to-the-minute tips and health alerts about the state of human swine influenza in this country.
Supplement support! In our mobile, global society, it is practically impossible to contain the spread of viruses. Boost your immune system with the following:
Vitamin C: In times of stress, good immune function means your body combats illness more effectively. Vitamin C is believed to help reduce the duration and severity of colds and flu by elevating levels of IgG, the body’s principle defense against systemic infection. Since Vitamin C is not produced in the body, it is important to supplement adequately with up to 1,000 mg/day.
Vitamin C Chewables are the tastiest chewable Vitamin C products on the market and they come in six refreshing fruit flavours. Ideal for the entire family.
Exxtra-C™ is a high-grade ascorbic acid in a timed-release capsule that offers sustained blood levels for 24 hours, resulting in superior absorption and bioavailability. Since Exxtra-C™ is gradually released into the gastrointestinal tract, it is also less likely to cause diarrhea or stomach upset.
Vitamin D: Amid growing reports of the benefits from Vitamin D, suggests that the sunshine supplement may be a knock-out punch to colds and flu. It is commonly believed that most of us do not receive adequate Vitamin D for major disease prevention, which is why health organizations now recommend that Canadians take 1,000 IU of supplemental Vitamin D daily. Jamieson’s
Vitamin C&D — Morello Cherry Chewable is a premium formula that combines the cold-and-flu–fighting properties of Vitamins C and D to support a healthy immune system. These easy-to-chew tablets come in fresh Morello cherry flavour.
Echinacea: Traditionally prescribed by herbalists to treat upper respiratory tract infections and sore throats, Echinacea stimulates immune-system cells to fight off viral invaders.
Echinacea Angustifolia 1,000 mg is derived from premium-quality raw materials of this native North American wildflower. Jamieson’s 360 Pure protocol guarantees the purity and potency of this herbal formula.
Probiotics: Some 30 percent of the body’s immunity comes from a healthy digestive tract, and a healthy digestive tract depends on beneficial bacteria, known as probiotics.
Probiotic Sticks contain one billion clinically tested probiotic cultures proven to reduce stress-related tummy troubles and stimulate the body’s defences. The tasty plum-flavoured crystals are gastro-protected, which means they will survive the acidic digestive environment and reach the intestine where they are needed. Probiotic Sticks deliver the most potent source of active cells on the market today. No refrigeration necessary.
- Vitamin C: In times of stress, good immune function means your body combats illness more effectively. Vitamin C is believed to help reduce the duration and severity of colds and flu by elevating levels of IgG, the body’s principle defense against systemic infection. Since Vitamin C is not produced in the body, it is important to supplement adequately with up to 1,000 mg/day.